Salonculinaire.com is an initiative of Melbourne based Black Hat chef and Foodservice Rep columnist, George Hill. The site first appeared as the “Virtual Salon Culinaire” in 2005. In its first two years Salonculinaire.com attracted over one hundred thousand visitors and recorded over 1 million hits. Salonculinaire.com has experienced constant growth ever since and currently averages 6 thousand visitors a week.
In 2006 a chefs’ forum (Community of chefs) was added to provide like minded professionals with the opportunity to explore issues affecting the commercial chef in the ever changing contemporary kitchen.
With a constant stream of chef applicants since mid 2006 requesting to join the forum, over four hundred registered members have now been processed and accepted as members and over 40 thousand visitors have read debates.
- To acknowledge chefs worldwide, who have taken food presentation into the realm of food art and encourage others to seek excellence in all forms of food presentation, from the plate to the buffet from a simple garnish to Pièces Montèes.
- Provide a platform on which Australian chefs may professionally debate contemporary issues facing the industry.
- Provide a platform that encourages professional standards such as the proposed introduction of a Mentor Program and the Australian Culinary Codes of Practices.
- Identify a list of major websites that provide useful information for the commercial chef.
- Identify professional chefs who have made a measurable contribution to their industry.
- Encourage chefs to develop a presence on the internet.
This is a service to the professional cookery industry and no fees or charges are collected for membership of the the community of chefs.
If you believe a site is of particular interest to chefs and should appear on this growing portal as a link, please email George. The criteria is simple, the site must demonstrate that the information will assist professional chefs.